Jamaican Michael Gardener, representing the Caribbean team in the Wray and Nephew Contender 2016 Series, makes his debut as a professional boxer tonight. Gardener will face USA boxer José Guzman, over five rounds in the fifth week of competition at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium. Fight time is 9.30 p.m. and the contest will be broadcast live on Television Jamaica. Last week the series heated up considerably when Guyanese boxer Revlon Lake fought a bruising battle against Anthony Woods from The Bahamas to take a majority decision, and tonight’s fight promises to be in the same vein. The 22 year-old Gardener is faced with a huge task, in this his debut, but he and his camp have stated that they are very confident of victory, despite the fact that Guzman, who is 27, is a seasoned professional with 20 fights on his rÈsumÈ. It is not an impressive one, as he has won six, lost 13, and had one draw, but the fact is that he has been a professional since 2006. He last fought on March 5, losing to John Hernandez in New York over six rounds. Gardener has been one of Jamaica’s best amateur boxers and has been a champion in both the welterweight and middleweight divisions. He has represented Jamaica in overseas competitions several times and is known to be a hard-hitting boxer. His major fault as an amateur was that being primarily a counter-puncher, he had the tendency to react and fight back rather than lead and be aggressive. As a result, he was usually coming from behind, and in a three-round fight, he therefore, found himself in trouble on several occasions. Over five rounds, he has some more time, but he still cannot afford to lose the early rounds as catching up would be difficult. The tactics that he uses tonight will be very important if he is to make a successful debut. He has good punching power, but his opponent, who was born in Puerto Rico and who has been living in the Bronx, New York, for some time, is quite likely to be very aggressive, so the ingredients are there for an exciting contest. The winner tonight moves into the quarter-final, and will be one step closer to the Contender 2016 title and first prize of $2million. The runner-up takes home $500,000, third place $250,000 and fourth place $200,000. In the next stage of the competition, the boxers will still challenge each other over five rounds, but the semi-finals will be over seven rounds, and the final in July will be a 10-round contest.
(CLICK HERE, if you are unable to view this photo gallery or video on your mobile device.)OAKLAND — Jon Gruden has admitted it matter-of-factly on numerous occasions: These Raiders are nowhere near contenders.Gruden sold all those veterans he signed this offseason on the notion his team could win now while they still had something left in the tank. Jordy Nelson, Rashaan Melvin, Tahir Whitehead, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Doug Martin, Frostee Rucker. Now? If any of those guys had options …
15 August 2013 President Jacob Zuma has called on South Africans to use the anniversary of the Marikana tragedy as a time for reflection and prayer. Friday will mark a year since the tragic incidents that claimed the lives of 44 people in Marikana, near Rustenburg in North West province. “I would like to call upon all South Africans to treat the 16th of August as a day of prayer and reflection. We must pray for the families of all who lost their lives in Marikana, before and after the 16th of August. We must all resolve to do everything possible to prevent a repeat of similar incidents,” Zuma said in a statement on Thursday. The event, Zuma said, had shocked the whole country, causing “untold pain”. “It was a tragic and sad loss of life. We pulled through because we united and ensured that the tragedy did not derail the country and efforts of nation building and reconstruction.” He called on the nation not to pre-empt the findings of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry, led by Judge Ian Farlam, which is looking into the incident. Zuma called on the government, labour and business to work together to achieve peace and stability in the mining sector, which remains a major source of economic growth and employment in the country, especially during difficult global economic times. The government, organised labour and organised business have committed to work together to restore peace and stability in the mines. A framework agreement signed by the parties in July provides the basis for cooperation to stabilise the sector and set it on a sustainable footing. Cautioning against further violence, Zuma said the government would act decisively to enforce the law during protests, reiterating that labour relations disputes and negotiations should be conducted in line with the Labour Relations Act. “Both workers and employers must ensure that all matters pertaining to labour relations, including union recognition agreements, verification of membership and wage negotiations, are conducted within the Labour Relations Act, which lays the primary foundation for labour relations in South Africa. “Government will act decisively to enforce the rule of law, maintain peace during strikes and other protests relating to labour disputes and ensure protection of life, property and the advancement of the rights of all.” The President said the newly established Mine Crime Combating Forum would ensure that the law enforcement agencies acted fairly and impartially while working together with the companies, trade unions and communities. “Workers and managers must go to work without fear that anyone would harm them,” Zuma said. “Workers must be free to exercise their constitutional right to join any trade union of their choice, to declare disputes, to strike and to engage in any form of peaceful protest.” Source: SAnews.gov.za
SharePrint RelatedFive new Geocaching country souvenirsDecember 4, 2017In “Community”Five new Geocaching country souvenirs for 2018December 10, 2018In “News”Welcome TB-Hotel Liechtenstein — Geocache of the WeekMarch 27, 2019In “Community” Nestled between Austria and Switzerland, Liechtenstein is 160 square kilometers (62 square miles) of beautiful countryside with an estimated population of 37,000. And while you may have seen images of picturesque Vaduz Castle, there are a few things you may not know about Liechtenstein: On Liechtenstein National Day, August 15th, the reigning Prince of Liechtenstein and his son invite residents of their tiny principality to enjoy a drink in the garden of Vaduz Castle, the princely ancestral residence.Liechtenstein’s national anthem, “Oben am jungen Rhein” (Up above the young Rhine), is sung to the same melody as “God Save the Queen.” Liechtenstein is the world’s leading manufacturer of false teeth, accounting for 20 percent of the total sales worldwide.Although Liechtenstein is the fourth smallest country in Europe, the geocaching community is very active. Here are three caches to visit when earning your shiny new Liechtenstein country souvenir:Alte Rheinbrücke Vaduz-SevelenTraditional | GC5N7H7 | by Astvaldur | D2/T1.5The last remaining wooden bridge to cross the Rhine in the Alps, the Alte Rheinbrücke Vaduz-Sevelen is 135m (443 feet) long and connects the Liechtenstein capital of Vaduz with the Swiss canton of St. Gallen. The cache is located on the Liechtenstein side of the bridge, but you might have to rely on your geosenses, as the bridge can interfere with your GPS signal.Welcome TB-Hotel LiechtensteinTraditional | GC6W3JC | by Die schwarze Wittwe | D2/T1.5If you drive to Liechtenstein from Switzerland, check in to this conveniently located TB hotel. Park your car, take a short stroll to the cache, and discover or trade trackables. The key and instructions on how to open the cache are behind the hotel. Pro-tip: It’s not the barn you’re looking for.FürstensteigMulti-cache | GC1WGCJ | by Lulch | D2/T4This Multi-cache is not for the faint of heart. You should be an experienced climber to attempt this cache, as the path gets very close to the chasm in places. Make sure to take the occasional break to take in the scenery while you make your way to the top. The ascent covers a difference in altitude of 500m (1640 feet) and takes approximately one hour. Once you get to the top you will discover the cache and be greeted by a breathtaking view.We announced five new Geocaching country souvenirs on Monday, December 4th. If you’ve already found a geocache in any of these countries, you’ll automatically receive the souvenir on your profile. Check out all of the geocaching souvenirs here.Share with your Friends:More
Hot and humid weather has compounded the woes of the cyclone-affected people in Odisha, with the government facing a gigantic task of restoring power to houses in Puri and Khurdha districts battered by Fani.Despite massive efforts by the State government, total power restoration is likely to be completed in Bhubaneswar only by May 15. Around that time residents of Puri too may start getting power. The extremely severe cyclonic storm ‘Fani’ has damaged 75 high power transmission towers while 84,000 km low tension power lines have been found either broken or sagging. Over 11,000 distribution transformers were damaged.Massive damage “The power infrastructure has suffered massive damage. To bring it back to its earlier shape, it will take two months, but we are focusing on emergency restoration system, which will be completed in a fortnight,” State Energy Secretary Hemant Sharma told The Hindu here on Thursday.“The challenge is enormous. Two lakh electric poles have been damaged by the cyclone. Of the two lakh, one lakh will have to be replaced completely while another one lakh are repairable. The State had a stock of 80,000 poles in different districts while 20,000 poles were obtained from ongoing programmes,” said Mr. Sharma.“The Steel Authority of India Limited has made a commitment to provide 60,000 poles in phases while 30,000 poles have to be procured from different manufacturers in the State. There is a shortfall of about 10,000 which are part of lift irrigation points and that can be taken up at a later stage,” said the Energy Secretary.The State government has set up four temporary workshops at Puri to procure raw materials used in electrification. Another difficulty being faced in the restoration exercise is manpower crunch. “Ideally, 1,000 gangs (each consisting of 10 members) should have been deployed for restoring power. We have been able to deploy 500 gangs who have mostly come from outside Odisha,” he said. Contractors warned “There are 644 high tension licensee contractors in Odisha. Of them, only 100 have joined the cyclone restoration. We have issued warning that if they fail to join the force in 10 days, their licence would be cancelled,” he said. Requests were sent to West Bengal, Telangana, Karnataka and Kerala to get a labour force of 2,700.By Thursday, 61,000 power consumers have been provided electricity which is about 32% of the total consumers. The Energy Secretary said the target was to restore power inside Bhubaneswar by May 12.Meanwhile, people are facing a tough time with the daytime temperature crossing 40 degree Celsius at several places.