Former Newcastle star set for La Liga return

first_img1 Jonas Gutierrez, Former Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez has agreed terms on a move to Deportivo La Coruna.The Argentine was released by the Magpies this summer after coming to the end of his contract.The 32-year-old had previously spent seven years at St. James’ Park after being signed in 2008 from Real Mallorca.He is now heading back to Spain to continue his career in La Liga after agreeing to join Deportivo.last_img

Premier League 2015/16 quiz – how much do you remember about the season so far?

first_imgIt’s been a topsy-turvy start to the new Premier League season.Chelsea are struggling, Manchester City are top, Arsenal are just as unpredictable as ever, while Tottenham are unbeaten since the opening day of the season.Brendan Rodgers has been sacked by Liverpool, and Sam Allardyce is the new Sunderland boss after Dick Advocaat resigned.But how much about the opening eight games do you remember? Test your knowledge in our quiz below…About | Privacy | Terms Arsenal fans 1last_img

City OKs fee hike to help Uptown

first_imgWHITTIER – The City Council’s approval of a 29percent fee increase on Uptown businesses will allow the Whittier Uptown Association to begin work on improving the area, its president said Wednesday. The council approved the mandatory assessment on a 3-0 vote Tuesday. Councilmen Bob Henderson and Joe Vinatieri couldn’t vote because their businesses are in the Uptown district. “I’m excited,” said Robert Ruiz, association president. “It frees up our hands. It lets us offer some real services to our merchants.” Ruiz said the association can now get bids for maintenance for the Uptown area – everything from steam cleaning to trash issues – and to remodel the public bathroom in the parking structure. The rate increase is expected to generate about $27,000 that will help balance the association’s $163,000 budget that pays for an office, staff and advertising. Association officials say they’ve had a $13,600 deficit the past two years. “We were so busy paying the debt and interest that we couldn’t think of anything else,” Ruiz said. The assessment increase was controversial early on. But the association board reduced it in response to criticism by restaurants that the proposal penalized them. The fee originally was going to rise more for restaurants than retailers. The increase is now the same. No one spoke for or against the assessment increase at Tuesday’s meeting. “I’m satisfied they have communicated with their members,” Councilwoman Cathy Warner said of the association leadership. “Obviously, there were strong opinions,” Warner said. “Then the association went back to the drawing board, reconfigured and came back with a scenario more acceptable to their members. If it were not acceptable, we would have had folks speaking during the public hearing.” However, not everyone was satisfied. Francesca Mauro, manager of Datillo Restaurant, said Wednesday she didn’t have time to leave her business for the council meeting. “I think everybody is tired,” Mauro said. “Whatever we say isn’t going anyplace anyway. You can’t fight city hall.” Mauro said her problem wasn’t so much with the fee increase but the association itself. “I know they’re in a bind and can’t avoid an increase,” she said. “I just don’t think we should have an Uptown association. It’s just a waste.” Mauro said the association should hand off many of its events to other nonprofit organizations. Ruiz said he agrees with many of Mauro’s concerns and is trying to make changes. mike.sprague@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “We’re off and running with 100 different ideas we can do directly as merchants,” he said. The association sought the fee increase, which included a $5 bump in the flat rate and a 5-cent increase in the square-foot charge for retailers and restaurants. Nonprofit groups, including churches, will now pay a $100 fee. Previously, they paid nothing. A 5,000-square-foot restaurant – the size of Datillo – would pay an extra $255, or $1,130. This is the first increase in three years. last_img read more

Report: More state high school grads need to go to college

first_imgCalifornia beats the national average for college students with a degree but needs to get more high school graduates to aspire to higher education in the first place, according to a recent report. The National Center for Higher Education Management Systems and Jobs for the Future for Making Opportunity Affordable recently released a report on college access and success in the nation. The report “Adding It Up: State Challenges for Increasing College Access and Success” outlines, state by state, the percentage of residents with a college degree, and the changing demographic challenges that each state faces for the future. According to the report, in California, 38.9 percent of adults ages 25-64 have a college degree compared to 37.4 percent in the nation. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsCalifornia is ranked near the bottom in the percentage of recent high school graduates moving on to college. According to the report, in 10 states, fewer than half of high school graduates enroll in postsecondary education within one year of graduating. California is one of the bottom five states with a 43.7 percent college continuation rate, compared to the national average of 55.5 percent. But once a student decides to attend college, the possibility of attaining a four-year degree is higher in California. According to Azusa Pacific University’s public relations manager, Allison Oster, the school works with students to help them achieve their goal once they are enrolled. APU was recognized earlier this year as one of the top 52 colleges in the country for outstanding first-year experience by U.S. News. Oster said the school’s Beginnings program is instrumental, providing first-year students with the resources they need to continue their college education and attain a degree. The school had a one percent increase in freshman retention in the 2006-07 school year compared to the previous year. The report projects that higher education in most states can improve degree production. There are currently only eight states on track to reach the level of educational attainment needed by 2025 to compete with the best-performing nations and meet work force demands, the report states. According to the report, California is one of the top five states to hand out four-year degrees, with an average of 25 degrees per every 100 full-time students enrolled. Washington is the top state with 26 degrees per 100 full-time students enrolled. Pasadena City College saw a slight increase in degrees awarded to students ages 25-29 and a slight decrease in students ages 30-34, said Juan Gutierrez, director of public relations. Gutierrez also said there was an increase in certificates awarded to students ages 30-34, and a steady rate awarded to students ages 25-29. “(The difference) to me seems to be because students in the 30 to 34 age group usually just want to come in and earn a certificate to help them in their current career, while students in the 25 to 29 age group want a degree to start a career,” said Gutierrez. Rio Hondo Community College in Whittier has seen a steady increase in the number of associate’s degrees awarded from 2005 to 2007, according to Ann Turner, a spokeswoman for the college. The APU Institutional Research Web site shows an increase of 71 undergraduate degrees awarded in the 2006-07 school year compared to the 2005-06 school year. That number may not be enough to help the state’s overall higher educational attainment rate. The report estimates, with the growing population and the majority in low-income and minorities group, by 2025, California may fall short of the college-educated population needed to meet work force demands and compete with better performing nations. For more information about the report, visit www.makingopportunityaffordable.org. claudia.palma@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2703160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

THIRTEEN COMPANIES SHORT-LISTED FOR 2012 ENTERPRISING DONEGAL BUSINESS AWARDS

first_imgA total of 13 companies have been short-listed as finalists in this year’s Enterprising Donegal Business Awards 2012, the most prestigious business awards in the County.Organised by Donegal County Enterprise Board, the awards are aimed at small and micro businesses in Donegal, and the winners will be announced at a black tie gala dinner in the Silver Tassie Hotel & Spa, Letterkenny, on Friday 23rd March.There are 4 categories in this year’s awards: Business Achievement, Business Development, Emerging Business and Innovation. Edenmore Farm Meats Ltd., Lifford, Inishowen Country Kitchen, Malin and Public Image Hair Salon, Ballybofey have been shortlisted for the Business Achievement Award; La Maison, Letterkenny, Moll Industries Ireland Ltd., Donegal Town and The National Hairdressing Academy, Bundoran are shortlisted for the Business Development Award. Claire the Baker’s, Carndonagh, O’Donnell’s Bakery, Laghey, Stateside American Restaurant, Letterkenny and Castlefinn Partnership Initiative (NorthWest Garden Show) will compete for the Emerging Business Award while Cargo Defenders, Lifford, Farm Feeder, Killybegs and JM Joinery, Pettigo are shortlisted for this year’s Innovation award.Michael Tunney, Chief Executive of the DEB said “This year’s finalists demonstrate the vision and commitment required to drive a successful business forward.“We hope the awards will inspire others around the County to make the leap and work on their business vision too”.There is an award for the winner in each category and an overall winner of the Donegal Business of the Year award. Previous winners of the overall award include The Swilly Group, Gartan Technologies and DS Environmental Services. Each year one of the winning companies goes on to represent Donegal at the National Enterprise Awards in Dublin.Tickets for the Awards cost €25 and to attend, or for further information about the Enterprising Donegal Business Awards 2012, contact Celine Carroll, Donegal County Enterprise Board on 074 9160735 or email ccarroll@donegalenterprise.ie Alternatively, you can visit the Donegal County Enterprise Board’s website at www.donegalenterprise.ie County and City Enterprise Boards are funded by the Irish Government and co-funded by the European Union under the EU Structural Funds 2007 – 2013. THIRTEEN COMPANIES SHORT-LISTED FOR 2012 ENTERPRISING DONEGAL BUSINESS AWARDS was last modified: March 14th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal County Enterprise BoardMichael Tunneylast_img read more

GAOTH DOBHAIR JOBS BOOST AS ENTREPRENEUR TO EXPAND ‘CRISP FACTORY’ BUSINESSES

first_imgRay CoyleA WELL-known entrepreneur behind snack food giants Tayto and Hunky Dory’s says he is planning to expand three new businesses in his beloved Gaoth Dobhair.Ray Coyle has sold his remaining shares in Largo Foods – but says he is committed to new jobs in Co Donegal.He is basing them at the old crisp factory premises which the new German owners of the Meath-based Tayto closed last year. Coyle has invested in three fledgling food businesses, taking on equity stakes and planning to move their manufacturing to Gaoth Dobhair over the next few months.Donegal Daily understands around 30 jobs could initially be on their way for an area which badly needs more jobs.One of the businesses is Natasha’s Living Foods, the health food brand known for its kale crisps and raw cacao brownies, founded by raw food fan Natasha Czopor.Coyle is taking on a 55pc stake in the business in exchange for an investment of over €500,000. “She has got it dead right,” he said of Czopor.“Her products are exactly what today’s health-conscious consumers are looking for. My daughter uses them – and she is an Olympic athlete.”Daughter Natalya is getting read to complete in the pentathlon in Rio 2016, having finished ninth at the London Olympics in 2012.Coyle’s other two new food investments are SynerChi, the country’s first kombucha brewery, and Irish Cone and Wafer, Ireland’s largest manufacturer of cones for 99 ice creams.“If there is a business opportunity where there is a reasonable chance of success and it is a subject that I know something about, then I will go for it,” said Coyle, who is 63. “I may do less, or something different, but I will never do nothing. I had some really classic failures. But I have been lucky too… and overall I chose more good ones that bad. You just have to be persistent, to be dogged about it.”GAOTH DOBHAIR JOBS BOOST AS ENTREPRENEUR TO EXPAND ‘CRISP FACTORY’ BUSINESSES was last modified: October 25th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:food businessesGweedorejobsray coylelast_img read more

Adam Johnson’s former Sunderland teammate Cabral charged with rape

first_imgA former Sunderland footballer will go on trial charged with rape.Cabral, whose real name is Adilson Tavares Varela, will appear at Newcastle Crown Court after he was arrested on suspicion of two counts of rape.The 27-year-old Cape Verdean midfielder played alongside convicted sex offender Adam Johnson after signing for the North East club in June 2013.He now plays for Swiss club FC Zurich after leaving Sunderland “by mutual consent” in February last year.A Crown Prosecution Service spokesman confirmed his trial would start on April 25.A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “We can confirm that Adilson Tavares Varela was arrested on January 25 2015, and subsequently charged with rape on June 24 2015.” 1 Cabral in action for Sunderland in 2014 last_img read more

Picture: Arsene Wenger on a ‘Wanted’ poster for refusing to leave Arsenal

first_img2 We might be seeing these Arsenal banners for a little longer Arsene Wenger has no plans to leave Arsenal before his contract is up, he revealed.This season the manager has come under pressure from many fans who want to see his 20-year reign end.Banners demanding he go have been seen at various games this season, but the Frenchman isn’t going anywhere until his contract finishes in 2017.When asked about his future ahead of the West Brom game, which is live on talkSPORT on Thursday 21 April, he said: “I do not want to come back on that, I always respect my contract.”In addition, Arsenal are bracing themselves for their lowest attendance since leaving Highbury, with some reports claiming the Emirates will be short by as many as 20,000 fans.center_img 2last_img read more

TRANSFER REPORT: Arsenal plotting summer swoop for Bayern Munich defender

first_img Rafinha in action for Bayern Munich Arsenal are preparing a summer swoop for Bayern Munich defender Rafinha, according to reports in Germany.The 30-year-old’s contract at the Allianz Arena expires in June 2017 and he is yet to pen an extension.The Brazilian is looking for a long-term deal, but Bayern are reluctant to offer the right-back what he wants.That, according to Bild, has ignited interest from Arsenal and they are ready to pounce.The Gunners are likely to sell Mathieu Debuchy in the summer and as a result Arsene Wenger is on the hunt for a right-back.Rafinha’s experience would make him an ideal addition and Arsenal are willing to meet his demands of a three-year deal. 1last_img read more

Parking meters get smart

first_imgBut drivers aren’t the only ones receiving up-to-the-second messages from the new parking meters. The elaborate software also electronically communicates with patrolling officers from the Los Angeles Department of Transportation and instantly tells them which meters have run out of money or where parkers have overstayed time limits. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel said the new meters are a step toward updating the city’s parking infrastructure, which will help reduce traffic congestion in business districts as motorists circle around for parking. In just one 15-block city business district, for example, motorists searching for parking added 950,000 extra miles of travel in a year – enough to take 38 trips around the world, according to a study from the University of California, Los Angeles. “Change is on the way,” said Greuel. However, some things still will stay the same. For now. The perk of pulling into a parking space with time left on the meter will continue. Although, eventually, sensors will be added to the meters to detect when cars leave their parking spots – and automatically reset the time left to zero. sue.doyle@dailynews.com 818-713-3746160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champIf successful, the electronic gizmos – which also take coins – will eventually replace all 40,000 parking meters throughout the city, which annually generate about $21 million. “We’re here to make public parking more convenient and reliable,” said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, kicking off the effort from a parking lot at Magnolia Boulevard and Klump Avenue. “Say goodbye to the day of broken meters.” Public parking in Encino, Studio City, Tarzana and Van Nuys has been targeted for upgrades and electronic meters under the pilot program. The meters allow motorists to program their cell phones to receive text-message warnings when time is running out on the meters – and can even remotely feed the meters through their keypads. Drivers register for the feature each time they park by punching in meter identification numbers and parking space numbers into their cell phones. NORTH HOLLYWOOD – They take credit and debit cards and will even send you text messages when they need more money. And no, they are not your children, they actually are talking parking meters. New, fancy, high-tech ones. About 6,000 of the electronic meters are poised to soon stand guard on Los Angeles streets under a pilot program launched Thursday at a North Hollywood public parking lot. Costing $5.5 million, the new machines are being installed to help recover money lost from broken meters – estimated at $1.6 million over the past two years. last_img read more